Sunday 11 May 2008

Sunday funday


When I came over to Canada, I had signed up to write a series of (bland, generic) diary entries for BUNAC, the student company who helped with my VISA, amongst other things. The main benefit of doing it, not least because I was getting some money for minimal work, is that it forces me to get out and do something in the two weeks between entries. I don't want to look like I'm just sitting on my arse and doing nothing!

Today was one such day, where I opened the increasingly battered pages of my Canada guidebook, and had a peruse at the different options open to me on this hot, perfect Sunday.

With 'Vankok' (or 'Hong Kouver') being up to 30% populated with inhabitants of Asian persuasion, I thought it was about time I paid a more in-depth visit to Chinatown. After touching base with home, using my brand-spanking new headset on Skype, I caught my usual 20 bus to the Skytrain, and then took the two stops to the Vancouver Canucks'stadium, not far from where I needed to go.

Walking towards the Dr. Sun Yat-sen Classical Garden, I noticed the change in architecture, with lampposts and bus-stops becoming red and oriental. Signs now included Han characters to signify the street names, and I had become a definite ethnic minority in this small area of downtown.

Before I made it to the garden, I stumbled across a park which included quaint stream. There were stylised stepping stones that were fun to walk across, climbing alongside the falling water that began at the top of a large slope, and resulted in a duck pond at the bottom. I spent a couple of minutes experimenting with the timer facility on my camera to try and capture the moment (see below), and it seemed to work quite well!



Once I reached the Chinese garden I paid the entry fee, accepted the positive comments about my t-shirt (not for the first time-thanks for giving it to me Sven!), and entered into a tiny haven in the metropolis.

The garden was split into four sections. There was a pond in the centre, which separated the more unkempt public side of the garden, and low walls, dotted with Ming Dynasty style windows boxed in the other areas. Gazebos offered great places to sit and relax, and a menagerie of horticulture native to China created a succulent aroma. It was all very relaxing.




In rooms of to the side of the main showpiece were an exhibition on bonsai trees, a typical writer's studio from the great days of the Orient (not Leyton- they never had any great days), and other assorted historical Chinese items. I spent a good hour and a half, strolling around the gardens, finding even more settings on my camera (macro-imagery, this time).

Once I had completed my tour of the gardens, I took a walk around Chinatown as a whole. It wasn't even nearly as desirable as the gardens were, so I quickly decided on another plan of action. The sun was still beating down on the West Coast, so I definitely wasn't returning home yet. I thought about where I could explore that wouldn't take up too much time and money.

I decided on Vanier Park, which is over the Burrard Bridge and into Kitsilano. It meant another couple of changed onto Skytrain and buses, but with every journey I take, my monthly transit pass becomes more value for money.





I arrived at the park around twenty minutes later. The main section of grassland in the park was taken up with the Vancouver Children's Festival. Amongst the clowns, bright colours and over-enthusiastic festival staff, I would usually be in my element. Today, I was in a calm, grown-up mood, so I steered well clear of all that.

There was Vancouver Museum, with a Space Section included. I took a look in the door, and was quickly put off by the price tag. I took a couple of pictures of the architecture and went on to the next sight. I had heard the Maritime Museum is quite extensive and interesting, so I opted to save that for a weekend in the future.

Instead, I was content with making my way along the beach and just admiring the fantastic views of the mountains, the city and the coast along Stanley Park. There are many places in Vancouver where you turn a corner, and you have to stop in your tracks and just admire what is in front of you.

By the time I arrived back at the apartment, I was spent. Even now, it is an effort keeping my eyes open and my brain concentrated for this entry.

Before I knock off for the night, and prepare myself for another week in the rat race, I must mention fete/market that I stumbled across yesterday. Coming back from a hard day of purchasing work shirts, my Skype headset and all my food for the week, I noticed something was going on at Britannia High School as the bus edged past. I could hear loud chatter, bagpipes and the smell of food was enough to make any person get off the bus there and then.

I had to drop of all my stuff at home first. I quickly hurried back to see what all the bustle was about. There was a small market, selling a host of homemade items, from brooches, to smoothies, to shiatsu massages. At the summit of the main hill, there was a group of musicians sitting in a circle, combining to make a vast mix of styles. They varied from folk, to some sort of reggae and then back again.



It had a real community feel to it, and I enjoyed browsing all the stalls. I have to admit, I am really enjoying the Commercial Drive atmosphere.

No comments: