Saturday 26 July 2008

Don't stop moving


These 6:30am starts are bad enough at my new job, without trying to run a social life outside of it! At the moment it is the Festival of Lights in Vancouver, where a three-way battle between Canada, the US and China takes place.

For a fortnight, there a grand fireworks nights in English Bay, where a million people gather to watch the spectacle.

On Wednesday, I went down with Anna, after I had been to the five year anniversary of my temping agency. It was quite surreal, going to the office straight from work, and finding all the chief execs of companies and organisations (such as the Vancouver Olympic Committee), sipping their Merlot or Shiraz. There were drinks, goodies and food, all gratuit. I appeared to be the only temping client there, with everyone else twice my age. I like to think I made good conversation for the bigwigs, and I enjoyed the party much more than I thought I would!

So I went from there to Vanier Park, in preparation for the fireworks. Anna, Laura et al picked a spot near the beach, where we could have a good view of the show. We ate popcorn and relaxed on the grass as kick-off time approached.


The fireworks were impressive by British standards, but I have to admit, the novelty of an expensive, choreographed fireworks display is wearing a bit thin. There seems to be an excuse for fireworks at every turn. Of all the displays I have caught in Canada (such as Canada Day or New Year), the baseball fireworks were by far the best. I think that because they were so close, and went on for much longer than Wednesdays show, they earn top spot.

Still busy, on Thursday night I was treated to a Lyle Lovett concert, courtesy of Anna and the strings that she can pull. It was a last minute decision, and I was apprehensive, as the one-time husband of Julia Roberts is a renowned country singer. In the end, it was not only enjoyable, it lasted for ages! They put on a really good show, with the cellist, guitarists, pianist, a ukulele player, two drummers, three old school R 'n' B showmen and a gospel choir all contributing to the fun.


Friday night and I was out again. After having a few drinks at the end of work, thanks to my new boss, I went out with my new colleague Catherine and her Irish friends. It had been a while since I had hit the clubs, and my body doesn't like me for it today. We all went to Catherine's friend's apartment beforehand, where I came in for plenty of stick from all the Paddys, but after a while (and some whiskey) I gave as good as I got.

Trying to keep up with an Irish gut proved challenging, and in the end we went to the aptly named "Blarney Stone", where there was an Irish folk band, and afterwards back to the apartment where we sat up until 5:00am (! I usually get up at 6:30am!). So I woke on a sofa in downtown Vancouver this morning, after four hours of poor sleep.

There are plans afoot to go to the fireworks again tonight, but I am not sure I have the energy, or enthusiasm for it. Maybe after a couple of Red Bulls...

No comments: