Tuesday 25 March 2008

Part 1- Thoughts?

The first stage of my life in Canada is complete. After arriving to Toronto in November 2007, I have moved to a new city, spoke a different language (in a fashion), seen two capital cities, travelled in two countries, and worked in two different jobs.

It has been an experience worth remembering already. I have made some great friends, who I will surely see again in the future, taken up a new sport and team to support and follow, and picked up some annoying words and phrases (cellphone, eh?). But what are my overall thoughts on French Canada, Quebecois, poutine, the Habs, customer service and simple Americans?

I definitely miss some of the creature comforts of home more than I thought I would. Some examples that stand out are Marmite, family (obviously), the weather(!) and just the good old English pound.

What do I like? The cost of rent is one definite advantage. Here I am paying half, if not less, for my apartment in one of the most sought-after areas of Montreal. In Vancouver it will be more, but still not a patch on what I paid for my digs at university, and definitely not on the prices people pay for similar flats in cities further south!

Of course there were some things that are different that I didn't appreciate. With the cost of living being lower, of course minimum wage is low. The Quebec government like to take a VERY healthy share of everything I earn too. That is something that I have heard will be less in Western Canada, so it is something I am looking forward to.

Also, there is always so much change in my pocket. In England, if you have £4.76 in your pocket, you know you can go to a shop and find something for as close to £4.76 as you can get (I believe in getting my money's worth)!

On this side of the pond, if you have $4.76 clinking away on your thigh, it is any one's guess of how much you will have to pay over the label price once you get to the counter with your hand full of shiny coins and potential purchases.

The snow does become much less of a novelty after Monday-Fridays every week trudging through foot-deep white stuff to arrive at the Metro station each day.

Overall? I wouldn't change a thing over the last few months. Every dime, toonie, loonie and dollar spent has been money well spent; every sight I have seen has enriched my experiences in life, and made me grow as a person(damn it I am sounding very righteous and American now- next comes the whining on about liberty etc).

No comments: