Wednesday 12 December 2007

The Christmas Postman


Anyone remember that book with all the letters in it, I think it was just either called 'The Jolly Postman' or there was a 'Christmas Postman' edition. Anyway, he used to travel to all the fairytale characters' friends and give them letters from different ones (i.e. the three pigs sent a letter to the big bad wolf etc.)


OK, the point I'm making is not just the fact that I still think about children's books and want them for Christmas even though I am supposed to be a fully grown adult (yeah, right), but also the fact that I have been awaiting my own jolly postman for the past three days- and not to much avail!


No, not Santa, but the jolly UPS man swang by yesterday with an extremely valuable package containing my laptop (but more importantly, MARMITE!!). Not once, but twice I missed him, eventually wasting a whole day today sitting in my new Montreal Canadiens t-shirt and pyjama bottoms.


But I got my package! The annoying thing was that I also missed another package- again from Blighty, but how? I was sitting attentively listening for the doorbell to ring ALL day, how could I possibly now have to wait for another package! Well I pick it up tomorrow, another job for me to do!

Ah it's stressful living in a new country I tell you. My ridiculously boring telemarketing job takes up my evenings, soon to be full-time (help!), but I just have to think about what brilliant things I have coming up and it spurs me on!

Kate has been a great help in all of this. Firstly, she is putting herself through hell, taking what sounds like a BSc in Cleaning Studies up in Mont Tremblant- just so I can crash the Appleby Christmas bash up in the slopes. It also saves me a bucket on hostel costs, thanks Nanny (I'm making that name stick you know!)!


Next, she has me excited about our plans en Etats-Unis in March! On further investigation, it turns out that bus tickets can be obtained for peanuts in Canada (actual peanuts are not legal tender, by the way), and so our round trip of Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington is more than affordable!

Pre-Christmas Christmas day was had on Sunday. That was when I received my new t-shirt, pyjamas and a killer tie to go with my killer shirt, shoes and interview technique. The Christmas/Hannukah tree is fantastic, adorned with garden lights, fake lilys, and tiny shiny disco balls-what could be any better? Not to mention the rainbow coloured balcony lights which lead me home on the freezing (five minute) trek from the metro every evening!

My job interview on Monday went alright I think. It was for a Content Writer, and seeing as I kind of did a degree in that sort of thing you would hope I am alright at it! Acqeous Cleaning Machinery does sound exhilirating I do have to admit, and the experience could do me well for later on! Plus it means more bucks for my travels, so, fingers crossed for me people!

The SWAP lot are making contact on the internet (need I mention Facebook at this juncture?), which means I have someone to hit the bars with this weekend. Still not many Canadians in my circles yet!

Now I have my laptop I can get back to learning French. The 'Time to Reflect' jingle does absolutely do my head in, but nevertheless I must stop procrastinating and start making some headway into the language of the locals.
Now less than two weeks until the real jolly postman stops by! Which means 13 more chocolates from my GIANT advent calendar (thanks Kate!) to scoff! See you soon Santa!!!

No comments: