Saturday 1 December 2007

New city, new home

The travels have ended for the time being. I have set up roots in a cheap and cheerful flat not far from downtown Montreal, on what must be the longest road in the city- St. Denis.


My room is sparse at the moment, but that will soon change. This is the strangest feeling so far, that I am now 'living' in Montreal. The holiday is over, the working hours will increase, and the parties and restaurants will do the opposite.


Today is December 1st, the OFFICIAL start of the Christmas season (take note, retailers), and my giant advent calendar (thanks Kate!) has been violated for the first time! Plans for Christmas are still a bit awry, dependent on work, friends, money- you know, the usual concerns. Even if I end up in Montreal, it will still be a good experience avec la nege et la froid!


I have discovered a new level of cold here in Canada. My feet and I had a falling out earlier today as I opted for trainers, neglecting the snow. Then it was my ears' turn as they virtually froze off due to the bite of the wind!


First impressions of the new abode? It's cosy, reminiscent of my student house. There are two students living here, and the atmosphere is one of study, not party. That will do my bank balance nicely for the time being, and now I can do shopping it is going to be much cheaper in theory.


Talking of food........au revoir!

No comments: