Sunday 30 December 2007

"Did I tell you the one about the guy at the fancy dress shop....?"


Back home (yes, I now call Montreal home!) after an exhilirating, relaxing, exciting and calm week dans Mont Tremblant.



I arrived on Saturday, to the beauty of Tremblant. It is almost a make-believe village, everything too perfect to be real. No litter on the streets, no beggars (thank God! Take note, Montreal) and everything in a pretty, wooden, vanilla style. Kate and I were not in the mood for anything strenuous, so steaks and films were our choice (not forgetting Cheetos and ice cream). We knew we had a tiring Holiday week ahead of us- for me, skiing and enjoyment; for Kate, work and tabards!



My first taste on the piste was my lesson on the 'Magic Carpet' on Sunday. I aced the class, only falling down once! I was going to have to get used to being on my arse these few days. In the afternoon Kate and I braved the torrential rain and sleet and hit the big ones! More time was spent on the ground and, without salopettes, my jeans took a battering.



Shivering and freezing, avec our Moccacino Grande's, we were surprised by the Appleby family. I had to admit I was a bit apprehensive about meeting them all at once, in an unfamiliar setting, and invading Christmas at the same time- but I needn't have worried.



The abrupt introduction didn't give me a chance to worry about my first impressions, but they were all so friendly, that I was comfortable straight away. We made our way back to the 'Log Cabin', where we set the fire going and set about demolishing the food that Dad Ian had bought and cooked. Over the next few days I would mange on some fine meals, including curry, Christmas roast chicken, pasta and beef casserole-yummy!



Dinner came complete with Ian trying out his menagerie of pathetic jokes, much to the distaste of his children. Personally, I think it takes guts to try such rubbish comedy, and it was so rubbish I think it worked! It reminds me of the pathetic jokes I come out with myself.



The Log Cabin was gorgeous. I experienced my first bath in months, where Mister Bubble "made getting clean almost as much fun as getting dirty". In this instance- where getting dirty meant five days of skiing down beautiful, icy, powder snow- it was a tall order, but Mister Bubble did the trick, soothing my aching thighs with bubble-gummy goodness.



Christmas came and went with a whisper, but it was overcome by the fact that I was just having too much fun on the slopes! After a couple of days I even tried out a blue run (one step up from bottom) and to begin with it was terrifying, but gradually the confidence grew. I never managed to go a day without a fall though, so it means I HAVE to get back up to the slopes soon (what a chore!)



Back in Montreal now though, minus many many dollars, but very happy with the way Christmas with the Applebys went off! Next week will be more of the same avec my inherited family, with possibly ice skating down at the Old Port, and tonight, more IMAX joy with Kate. Bring on 2008!

No comments: