Saturday 19 April 2008

Fever pitch in BC


Sun Run fever has hit town. After work yesterday, I made my way down to the Vancouver Sun Run fair, where I collected my t-shirt, timing chip (which I am apprehensive about) and as many extra free goodies as I could get my hands on.

There was a bustle of interactive games, competition draws, pens, magnets, muscle rub...the list goes on, and all of it was gratuit. Being the intrepid man that I am, I made sure that I got my money's worth! The only problem is that my thighs are a bit sore today from exerting too much effort on the virtual bicycle race!

The training is over- I took my last practice run on Thursday, giving myself enough time to relieve all the aches and pains, and save as much energy as I can for the big day. I will be running for an important reason; the quicker I run the sooner I can have the Mercer (work) brunch!

Last night I was a 'ring-in', as the Aussies say, on a Moose Tour night out. It is a little bit like SWAP, organising visits, sightseeing and drinking binges. Even though I was the only Pom in attendance, I had some real fun. The pitchers of beer were never out of arm's reach, the potato wedges kept coming from nowhere, and the company was vibrant, fun, and typically Australian! At one point, the snow began to tear down from the skies, and the whole bar (which was 90% Australian) cleared out to witness a weather they had never experienced before. After my four months in Montreal, I wasn't so enthralled when I saw the white stuff floating through the air.
It isn't a pretty picture today. Minimal hours of sleep, followed by an early start, preceded by days of work and Sun Run training. It is a tired old body that I inhabit at the moment. Another week of the same, then I can finally move out of this hostel, into my own apartment, into peace and quiet and happiness.

For now, I will sit across from the hospitable Frenchman from Lyon, the outlandish staff, the Habs supporter with the feral hair and beard, the Glaswegian who plays his guitar (but not very well) and the hoards of quiet readers, who never say a word to anyone (I think that covers me aswell).

No comments: