Wednesday 23 April 2008

Normality almost resumed


Coming up to a month in my new home, all the beginnings of a normal life in Vancouver are almost in place.

I rang my new landlord yesterday, to see if I could get myself into the room on Victoria Drive sooner rather than later, still no luck.

I'm tired from the hostel. It is hard to get sleep, after work I am greeted by noise and drunkenness (at 5.15pm!) every single day. All I want now, is my own space, my own room, a kitchen that isn't always being used. Only a few days left, and then life in Vancouver will increase dramatically.

Yesterday evening, I took advantage of SWAP and attended ocean kayaking. The weather was teasing us with clouds all afternoon, but the climate was warm, and as we took to English Bay in our tandem kayaks, it was calm, sunny and perfect.

We circled the water near BC Place, past the marina and under the Granville and Cambie Bridges. We took part in a race (which Conor and I were sabotaged in), and gave my pathetic arms a good workout. Afterwards, we went for a drink, and I managed to acquaint myself with a few more SWAPers. Conor, who was in my boat, is actually from my university, and knows my ex-housemates from my student days! Was strange, chatting about Manor Quay and the Wearmouth Bridge with someone I have met 11 hours flight away!

With the Admin job becoming more autonomous by the day, I have been searching for more responsibility. I hope to get in on the training that is offered, as well as potentially get my mitts on some communications work. Fingers crossed, and hopefully a career opportunity is in the offing.

So now I wait. I attempt to rest, even though I will be working seven days again this week, and still train for my next run- The Vancouver Half Marathon! I will be an athlete after all!

No comments: